Counting By 7’s

Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 11.05.45 PM

Written by Holly Goldberg Sloan

In the tradition of Out of My Mind, Wonder, and Mockingbird, this is an intensely moving middle grade novel about being an outsider, coping with loss, and discovering the true meaning of family.

Willow Chance is a twelve-year-old genius, obsessed with nature and diagnosing medical conditions, who finds it comforting to count by 7s. It has never been easy for her to connect with anyone other than her adoptive parents, but that hasn’t kept her from leading a quietly happy life . . . until now.

Suddenly Willow’s world is tragically changed when her parents both die in a car crash, leaving her alone in a baffling world. The triumph of this book is that it is not a tragedy. This extraordinarily odd, but extraordinarily endearing, girl manages to push through her grief. Her journey to find a fascinatingly diverse and fully believable surrogate family is a joy and a revelation to read.

One thought on “Counting By 7’s

1. Loved this story! The characters were well developed; it’s been a while since I read it, however they are still clear in my mind. The same goes for the setting; I can still clearly imagine their homes! Pacing felt accurate and I felt that the text was devoted to time periods in a well thought out manner. I’m questioning originality maybe because 1) the parents die at the start (common) 2) Odd man out kind of theme (common). Favorite part is protagonist. I love her and her strength of character.

6 Stars