Doll Bones

Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 11.40.17 PM

Written by Holly Black

Zach, Poppy and Alice have been friends for ever. They love playing with their action figure toys, imagining a magical world of adventure and heroism. But disaster strikes when, without warning, Zach’s father throws out all his toys, declaring he’s too old for them. Zach is furious, confused and embarrassed, deciding that the only way to cope is to stop playing . . . and stop being friends with Poppy and Alice. But one night the girls pay Zach a visit, and tell him about a series of mysterious occurrences. Poppy swears that she is now being haunted by a china doll – who claims that it is made from the ground-up bones of a murdered girl. They must return the doll to where the girl lived, and bury it. Otherwise the three children will be cursed for eternity

2 thoughts on “Doll Bones

1. This is a bit of a scary read but it’s good and full of suspense. It’s about these 3 friends, Poppy, Alice and Zach that like to play with dolls and toys. One day Zach’s father throws away his dolls in an effort to help him grow up. In a result Zach gets mad at his dad and doesn’t tell his other friends. He unexpectedly quits the game. But the next day Alice gives him a note telling him to meet Poppy and Alice somewhere. He doesn’t listen and one night while he is lying in bed he hears tapping on his window. Poppy and Alice tell him that the great Queen, (The doll who rules the other dolls) is telling them to bury her. They set off on a adventure that will teach them new things and discover somethings that they may not wanted to have known. I’d rate this book as a 5/7 stars because it’s very unique but the setting doesn’t make as much sense.

2. This book kept my interest because if you want to put the book down, all of these questions start buzzing in your head and you feel like you need to know the next part of the story. The characters were definitely fully developed. All the characters felt real and I felt like I could put myself in all of their shoes and know how they all feel. The plot was well thought out and exciting. The book had an exciting beginning and it all builds up for the problem. I can also picture the setting perfectly. The setting always changes and is realistic. The book was a little predictable and had no clear theme. But it was still an exciting and wonderful book. I give this book 5 out of 7 stars.