Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library

Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 11.20.00 PM

Written by Chris Grabenstein

Kyle Keeley is the class clown, popular with most kids, (if not the teachers), and an ardent fan of all games: board games, word games, and particularly video games. His hero, Luigi Lemoncello, the most notorious and creative gamemaker in the world, just so happens to be the genius behind the building of the new town library.

Lucky Kyle wins a coveted spot to be one of the first 12 kids in the library for an overnight of fun, food, and lots and lots of games. But when morning comes, the doors remain locked. Kyle and the other winners must solve every clue and every secret puzzle to find the hidden escape route. And the stakes are very high.

In this cross between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and A Night in the Museum, Agatha Award winner Chris Grabenstein uses rib-tickling humor to create the perfect tale for his quirky characters. Old fans and new readers will become enthralled with the crafty twists and turns of this ultimate library experience.

4 thoughts on “Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library

1. This book was really good but similar to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was about a boy who loves playing board games and beating his brothers. One day he accidentally breaks a window while playing a game. A few days later he’s on the bus with his friends and they’re all talking about this essay contest that you win a trip to the new library with a full game room! Kyle is grounded now because he broke a window and he really wants to get out of his boring house since he can’t play video games. Kyle writes his essay on the bus and ends up winning the essay contest along with a few others. What they find out in the library is something so extraordinary and bizarre that you have to read this book to find out! I give this book a 4/7 stars.

2. This book has a lot of similarities to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, yet with the setting transferred to an unbelievable, state-of-the-art library! There is a contest in which the characters have to use the materials found in the library to solve puzzles and find the way out of the library by morning. I enjoyed the book mostly because I wanted to be inside that library and I loved all the references to children’s literature!! The ending was a little predictable and it was a little unrealistic that the children could solve all those puzzles…they were tough! But overall it was enjoyable for anyone who loves children’s literature! I’d give it 5 out of 7 stars.

3. I absolutely loved this book. It kept me in suspense and had very vivid description. It was thrilling, mysterious, and enjoyable all at the same time. This book is one of a kind. It is perfect for all ages and all genders.

4. I loved this book and thought Mr. Lemoncello is very much like Willy Wonka.
    My school librarian suggested this book and gave me her copy. I gobbled it up at once and would certainly recommend this to a friend. I love that the library has holograms of excellent authors. I liked that it mentioned some books that I have read and some I would like to read. I think this book deserves to win the Newbery award!