Paperboy

Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 11.15.58 PM

Written by  Vince Vawter

An 11-year-old boy living in Memphis in 1959 throws the meanest fastball in town, but talking is a whole different ball game. He can barely say a word without stuttering, not even his own name. So when he takes over his best friend’s paper route for the month of July, he knows he’ll be forced to communicate with the different customers, including a housewife who drinks too much and a retired merchant marine who seems to know just about everything.

The paper route poses challenges, but it’s a run-in with the neighborhood junkman, a bully and thief, that stirs up real trouble–and puts the boy’s life, as well as that of his family’s devoted housekeeper, in danger.

3 thoughts on “Paperboy

1. This is a very good book. It’s about a boy who stutters and is now the new (temporarily ) paperboy while his friend is on vacation. Victor is afraid that people will laugh at him when he asks for the $ for the newspaper. Then Victor meets a man on his route who doesn’t think he’s odd and helps him just by being there. I think that it deserves 4/7 stars because it’s was a little too predictable, the setting doesn’t incorporate as much feeling as I would think it should and some of the facts weren’t as accurate.

2. I really liked this book, it is so good! I Love how the main character tells the story, and how Vince Vawter made the boy (who doesn’t tell his name) have stuttering problems. The book mostly kept me in interest, but there is not a lot of action. I love the characters! They all had a big part in the story. The plot was okay, but there wasn’t enough action for me. Its very deep, and the plot is pretty unexpected. The setting was good, it was placed in segregation times. Tho the setting is interesting, there is not much detail about it. This book was very original, and I haven’t read anything like it! The facts were organized, and the theme was unclear to me.
    So, in conclusion, I would give this book 6 stars, because the theme was unseen to me.

3. I Loved this book especially the main character’s determination and ultimately heroism. I thought the characters were well developed, especially the man who helped him and the woman in her home. The plot was both original and naturally sequenced. The facts seemed accurate according to the time period. The story was fast paced, memorable and meaningful.
    6 Stars