Hokey Pokey

Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 12.01.51 AM

Written by Jerry Spinelli

Welcome to Hokey Pokey. A place and a time, when childhood is at its best: games to play, bikes to ride, experiences to be had. There are no adults in Hokey Pokey, just kids, and the laws governing Hokey Pokey are simple and finite. But when one of the biggest kids, Jack, has his beloved bike stolen—and by a girl, no less—his entire world, and the world of Hokey Pokey, turns to chaos. Without his bike, Jack feels like everything has started to go wrong. He feels different, not like himself, and he knows something is about to change. And even more troubling he alone hears a faint train whistle. But that’s impossible: every kid knows there no trains in Hokey Pokey, only tracks.

Master storyteller Jerry Spinelli has written a dizzingly inventive fable of growing up and letting go, of leaving childhood and its imagination play behind for the more dazzling adventures of adolescence, and of learning to accept not only the sunny part of day, but the unwelcome arrival of night, as well.

One thought on “Hokey Pokey

1. This book is very different. The book was not one of the most interesting books I’ve read. Hokey Pokey is about how someone steals Jack’s bike and he gets very sad. Jack is very popular and well known in the land of Hokey Pokey.I think that the characters were very well developed because lots of kids and adults could relate to Jack and and his friends. Most people in their life has felt worried or sad. Thats the two feelings that Jack and his friends are feeling. The characters were very good but the pacing was so slow! Thats one of the reasons I stopped reading this book. Plus, the setting was very very confusing. Where is Hokey Pokey?But, originality was a definite yes! I’ve never read anything anything like it! Also, I stopped reading this book because it did not grab my interest and it was confusing. I would not recommend this book. I give it a 4\7.